Monday, September 7, 2009

An Unexpected Blessing

Tuesday, September 8, my baby girl is having a birthday. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was sitting in the doctor's office and he told me I was pregnant - again. With a 6-month old, a 4-year old, and living below the poverty level, I was overwhelmed. How would I ever cope? As my eyes filled with tears, the doctor took my hand and said, with such assurance, "you will do just fine and this child will be a big blessing to you". How right he was! I did just fine and I cannot imagine life without my Sonia. I've always felt she was my special blessing from God. She was, and still is, my "Sonny Rae". Sonia has always been very compassionate towards those less fortunate, especially the "underdog". I remember the boy who took after her with sticks on her way home from school. When I was feeling frustration and anger at the boy, a few days later Sonia wanted to make him a special birthday card. I learned a lesson on forgiveness that day! Sonia was also my most artistic child. She made beautiful things and she was able to move in beautiful ways. I will always regret that I did not find a way to provide her with more opportunities to develop her talents. Oh, there are so many memories - her unusual birth, singing "Into My Heart" and really meaning it, breaking her leg while jumping off the diving board, chicken pox, napping together on the big orange couch, cheerleading, the day her teacher took her favorite ring away from her and threw it away (That still makes me mad), her just-right gifts, the beautiful bride, the new mom. My heart yearns to have you close, my girl. I want us to be best friends day in and day out - not just over the telephone. I miss you so much and love you so much. Happy, happy birthday. May this year be the best you've had, full of happiness, good health, and love. And for what it's worth, I pray for you every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment