Sunday, October 25, 2009

Auctions for Causes

I've never been one to bid on things in an auction. But this year I've done it twice - and came away with some pretty strange things. In an auction for the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) I got:
1. The CEO's parking spot for the month of November - something I can use provided I don't have to travel that month
2. Miscellaneous leather desktop stuff, which is okay
3. A pedicure and manicure, which is great
4. A $25 gift card towards a $45 meal at a trendy bar/club downtown that caters to people aged 21-30; not a very good fit for me
5. Two tickets to "Girls Only", a showing at the Galleria Theatre, this is okay, but only good for Wednesday and Thursday nights
6. Some bath stuff, which is pretty but has a really strong scent, which makes my nose twitch
7. Two candles, which I haven't tried yet, but will probably be okay

I had better luck with the auction for the Missions group at the church. There we won:
1. An apple pie, ice cream and ice cream scoop. We shared the pie and ice cream; the scoop is really nice
2. A plate of mini brownies. We gave the brownies away, but I like the plate. And it came with a really cute matching cup.
3. Two nights in a condo in Breckenridge. This one will probably be the best of all. It has three bedrooms, three bathrooms, full kitchen, etc. And Breckenridge is beautiful. We are looking forward to cashing in on this one.

I don't think I'll do any more bidding for a long time. If I didn't believe in the causes, I think I'd feel I didn't get my money's worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment