Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Aunt Wilma


I spent most of my life barely knowing my "out west" relatives. In fact, for most of the relatives, I did not know them at all. Thankfully, in the early 2000's my new job took me to Tacoma, Washington, and I started to connect with my long, lost relatives. I have gotten to know many, many wonderful aunts, uncles, cousins and their families. One person I got to know is my Aunt Wilma. Wilma is 91 years old on October 22. Last year I was able to be in her home to celebrate her 90th and get to know the rest of her family. Another year has passed by so quickly. Wilma is the oldest person I know who spends time on the computer and communicates through email. She is the oldest person I know who goes dancing and who gets her acrylic nails done. She is the oldest "model" I have ever known. (Right after her 90th birthday she was a model at a community event). It's been such a pleasure getting to know such a unique and vibrant individual who, at 91, is still very much young at heart. And it is such an honor to be related to her! Happy Birthday, Aunt Wilma! My wish for you is many more years of health, of happiness, and of new experiences. I love you! (This is a picture of her graduation; I assume somewhere around 1936)

No comments:

Post a Comment