Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanksgiving in North Dakota

Every time I go to North Dakota in the winter I say, "I'm never doing that again!" Well, so much for that. Next week I am going to North Dakota to spend Thanksgiving with Mom. For some reason, I feel compelled to go; I really have no choice. I honestly don't think she will be with us much longer. Her strength is declining fast. She stopped walking again - not because her legs are so bad, but because her heart is so bad. She is just not getting enough oxygen to allow for activity. She sleeps a lot, reads very little, eats almost nothing. She is malnourished. I know this is all a normal part of shutting down. As a nurse, I've seen it happen over and over again. But when it's your own mom......it's hard, you know?

2 comments:

  1. I really wish I could get up there to see her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this blog about Grandma. I had the privelege of visiting with her for over an hour about a month ago. I need to get up there in the next day or two. I have Braxton tomorrow until 2,,,will run over there after that.

    ReplyDelete